Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Good Parent

I have always considered myself blessed to have such an awesome daddy.  When I was about 3 or 4 he decided that he wanted to be my daddy.  I think it was the best decision he ever made.  Of course when we make decisions like that we must consider the cost.  Price Taylor, Jr. consider that cost.  Knowing that I was a broken little girl who needed to be loved in such a big way that he actually sacrificed daily for me.  I cannot remember a time when I ever questioned whether he loved me or not.  I know that there where times when I thought that he would stop loving me because of some of the hurts and shame that I brought to our family...but he didn't.  I use to wonder how he did it.  How could anyone love so deeply and so authentically?  I don't ask that question anymore. 

Now I thought that I was blessed growing up with such an amazing daddy.  I really had no idea how abundantly blessed I have been all of my life until I met Jesus.  Jesus made me realize that I not only had a daddy who loved me so far beyond himself but that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me so much that He sent himself in the flesh as Jesus Christ and died for me.  Yes for me!  Call me crazy but I know He had me on His mind when He took those beatings.  He had me on His mind when He carried that cross on Calvary.  Yes, He had me on His mind when allowed them to nail Him to that cross.  My Lord died for me.  What an awesome Father is He.

Proverbs 13:24 says, "He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."  Good parenting requires good discipline.  Growing up I can remember my daddy spanking me one time in my whole life and he disciplined me in other ways but back then I didn't understand.  Today I do understand why and I am grateful for his many hours of talking (when I just wanted him to spank me to get it over with).  My daddy was a reflection of my Heavenly Father who, in His most perfect way, has spent many years, days and hours speaking to me through His Word and when necessary I even received some spiritual spankings. 

This morning I realized that there has been some spiritual spanking going on and today I got the talk in Hebrews 12.  God said that it was time for me to "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles..."  He said that I should "fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith..."  Yes, again I take His word personally because He had me on His mind.  He said for me to be "thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire."

This very day I want to say thank you to my earthly daddy, Price Taylor, Jr., for being a "good parent" and introducing me to my Heavenly Father who by all means is the "Perfect Parent."   I want to thank my Heavenly Father for blessing me with my earthly daddy and for showing me an ever flowing river of grace and mercy. 

I encourage you to read Hebrews 12 today.  May God bless you richly with great joy and peace as you seek His face.

No comments:

Post a Comment